Sunday, September 14, 2008

One Big Hug


You might have thought I gave the hug but actually I received it. Jim Elliot has always been one of my biggest heroes as he struggled with and pursed his dream of serving God in another country and going to the unreached. He and four other men served God until they were martyred by the Acuas. Right before I left I had finished another book about his life written by his wife Elizabeth Elliot Through the Gates of Splendor and I had talked with Keitha Wittig, a lady who had worked with them in Ecuador and is now retired at Penny Farms. Only to add finding out about Mrs. Bowens kindred love for the Elliots and her allowing me to borrow her copy of the diary of Jim Elliot, which I am thoroughly enjoying. Today as I stepped out of the van Bert Elliot, Jim´s brother, gave me a big hug as I walked into his home church. I was able to talk to his wife Colleen for a little bit and she said that most of their years they spent working on the other side of the mountains, but they have been in Trujillo the last twenty years. I was so thrilled to go to Centro Biblico Church and see the work that God is doing. The church also has a school were our four high school students go.
Mr. And Mrs. Elliot were paid so much respect as people before, in between, and after went to greet them.
How beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled for you that you got to meet Jim Elliot's brother! What a gracious gift from God.

Unknown said...

What a blessing Lindsey! I am so thankful that the Lord has provided such a precious time for you!

Love,
Mrs. Baker