Thursday, September 18, 2008

Language Therapy

Here is a brief overview of my five students in language therapy. They each have different problems, but even more so different aspects of their personality that make them dear.

This is Junior! He just turned nine. His right side is weaker. He has to practice moving his tongue left and right up and down. This is difficult for him because his tongue naturally goes to the left side. He speaks pretty well but he always has a ton of saliva in his mouth and slurs his words some. During language therapy I look at the pictures of my family that are above Junior's head.



So here is my office, or closet. This is Zuzu or Zuleica. She is two and comes to me mostly for stimulation. A lot of times she can be shy, but once you get to know her, and she's not tired, she has plenty to say. I do a lot of blowing exercises with her because she needs to use more force when she talks.




Everyone loves Edwin. He's generally a happy sort of fellow. He is six years old and has some form of autisim. He always has a cup or bottle cap with him. He breaks up leaves, grass, or plastic puts it in the cup and then pretends to drink it. While my dad was here, Edwin would call him "bad man" "bad man".





I love Italo he is nine. I work with him a lot in language therapy as well as in school. He always is wanting to learn. Throughout the school day he will ask at least three times me? me? Can I work with you now? And during lunch he will show me how he can practice his addition on his fingers. He is nine years old and does not talk very well at all. Though he has been at the orphanage for a long time, he has a memory problem that takes a lot of consistent repetition before he learns a word. For example, one day we did nothing but talk about the color yellow, I believed he really had it but when I introduced green, he lost yellow. In this picture I went over to his house and we were working but it turned into a tickle war where he ran and hid under the towels.




This little fellow is Abel, Italo's seven year old brother. He can be a little hard to manage but he can also give the biggest hugs. He loves to lick and bite anything that comes near his mouth! When I use my hands to work with his mouth they approach carefully and are ready to be pulled away quickly.


We all were created in God's image and have a soul that goes to eternity. Lord give us eyes, ears, and a heart for the least of these little ones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHH Lindsy I love it they all sound like such a joy! Now Italo is the one That adds with his chin right?

Lindsey said...

No that is Junior. Italo can figure out the correct number but not how to write it.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see your enjoying all the children, they all look like they enjoy your company very much. I will admit it is hard to read about these children's difficulties because I feel helpless but it is comforting to know that someone with a heart as big as yours is there with them helping them overcome their difficulties. The Lord is alive and well working through you to reach out to others in the world. I will be praying for your students and you also Lindsey. Talk to you later


P.S. I borrowed your book "DO Hard Things" from Shannon I hope that's Ok with you. I am enjoying it thoroughly. noleforthelord who forgot his blogger identity password. Lindsey do have any therapy techniques that will help me remember passwords. and yes I wrote it done :-(