Sunday, September 14, 2008

Did I miss something

Listen . . .
What do you hear. Half of my language therapy time is supposed to be spent on listening to noises outside, or having them close their eyes as I make a sound and they try to identify them, a rattle, bag, whistle, liquid ect. . . There are many new sounds around for me to take in. How often do I hear them, do I really pay attention. Many nights a strong wind will roar weaving its way through the sand dunes, erasing all signs of footprints, and coating everything in a layer of grime. I hear a clock ticking, the dog ´Tracy´ loves to bark at night, a fly buzzes by, and a lone mosquito humms me to sleep as I dive under the covers. Do we spend enough time listening, even close to half the time. I am thinking of our spiritual lives. We stay so busy, we think we are doing good if we get our supplication in. Listen, God is speaking through his word, through his people, and through the door ways he opens. I don´t mean this in a mystical kind of way, but in a practical way as we take time to prioritizes our ever fleeting life. When I listened to the wind the other night, it reminded me of God´s power, creation, and like the wind though He can not be seen, He is their and leaves a mark covering the past and making a clean slate. Listening is often an action, it is more than sitting quietly, but asking question, to show concern and see what you can do to help. One boy here told me NO several times. It does not take much listening to understand that this is more than a composition of two letters, but an attitude that reflects the heart. This particular boy had been severely abused. He needs to have a strong authority figure that both corrects and loves. The kids in language therapy are being taught how to listen and identify sounds, not for hearing purposes alone but for speaking. Is it not the same with our Father when we listen to just the way he says something ´tone, context´ we can begin to more clearly communicate with others in a real language not our own made up sounds.
So be hearers first and doers second. James 1,22

1 comment:

NolefortheLord said...

Beautiful poetry and penmanship or is it blogmanship. Or to be politically correct blogwomanship. Just letting you know we are thinking of you back home in the Lee home. By the way we as human beings will not miss anything if we just would take the time and listen to the silence that is around us. When we do that, God's message for us as individuals will be revealed. just a thought for a thought. TOY (Thinking Of You)