Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Food for Body and Soul

Maybe you were wondering about the food. Have they served the chicken foot soup since I have been here ect. . .
Here is a little of my routine, each morning I go downstairs around 6:30a.m. to have breakfast with the kids and then bring up the bread for the other volunteers. The bread is really good but the problem is you can eat a whole lot of it before you notice you have had any. Every morning the kids also get either chocolate milk or oatmeal. None of the other volunteers partake in this part of the diet but I have begun to help myself to some of it in the kitchen every morning. The thing to know about the oatmeal is that it is a drink with particles floating in it, not the normal oatmeal ideal. I really didn’t care for it at first but now it is pretty good. There are always bananas, apples and oranges that we can have at any time.
I love lunch which I eat at 1:oop.m. as soon as school is over every day. It is normally white rice, beans, and meat (a lot of times chicken) and then most days either a lettuce, cucumber, or radish salad. There is also juice or warm jello to drink.
And finally, for dinner we will have a soup or rice and something smaller like a veggie patty or a plantanon pancake. I really like pretty much everything that is served at the orphanage I even eat a little ahee which is a spicy sauce very popular down here.
Oh, yes we have had the chicken feet soup several times but they never put any of the chicken feet in the volunteers tupperware: ( One day I will have to get one though, a least for a picture : )
For spiritual food I am studying Galatians which the volunteers then discuss on Tuesday nights. I have also been reading some Psalms and Proverbs that always have encouraging and wise words. Finally every free second I have, I pick up the Journals of Jim Elliot which are really inspiring to read as he sought to serve on the mission field and fought with continually giving his whole heart to God.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oatmeal you can drink? Ewwww!

Thinking of you tonight dearest! Have a lovely day tomorrow!

Mrs. Baker

Rachel and Arielle said...

Hi Lindsay!
It is so fun to stumble across your blog. My friend and I spent 2 years volunteering in orphanages in Africa, Haiti, and at Hogar de Esperanza in Peru. We have awesome memories of our time there and really loved looking through the pics on your blog. It was SO GOOD to see the big girls Maria, Yamelit, etc. And Zuzu looks beautiful! Please give them lots of love from Tia Raquel and Tia Arielle! If you ever have free time, look in the april-mayish area of our blog archives to see our Peru portion. Keep blogging, we will check back often!
Rachel

Unknown said...

its so great reading your blog, you have such a heart to serve!

PS I had chicken feet once... Actually i liked it, but there wasnt much meat on it :>