Saturday, November 22, 2008

Last Days


I can’t believe it, I leave for home in two days. The last few days have been full of realizing that such and such is my last this and my last that. Thursday Samantha threw me a fogota (going away party) with the friends that we had made from Saturday night church and the other volunteers. We went to the beach in Salaverry and had a bon fire. I have loved hanging out with the young people from the church in Salaverry. We sang songs, played games, ate smores, and then ended with a prayer. Everyone is asking when I will be coming back.
Friday in school Miss Ali’s class (that I work in) and Amy’s Kindergarten class had a going away party for me. I was thrilled to get cards from several of the kids. Since Friday was my last day of language therapy I decided to get cookies and just hang out with each of my kids. Every time I go to get one of the kids for language therapy there are mixed emotions, sometimes they are ready to go and other days they hate the idea. Well, Friday several of the kids were playing outside when it came time to get them and they were completely miserable as I dragged them away. I wanted nothing more than to be like “listen today is a fun day, you don’t understand the surprise I have for you.” When I was standing outside calling one of them, I couldn’t help but think of God and how he has so much in store for us but we don’t want to move or go outside our comfort zone. What frustrating foolish sheep we can be sometimes. The way the kids treat me and the other tias is often a good demonstration of how we treat God. So, what behavior do I want to avoid? Ignoring his voice, saying no, never saying thank you, always asking for more, and not giving him what he asks for (because it’s all his anyways). Just as there are things to avoid there are definitely things worth imitating, the smiles, the love, the trust, their generosity, the kids here don’t have to bear their burdens alone, we too can rest in the arms of our father.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Baaaa. Sorry, couldn't resist - I've been one of those frustrating sheep lately!

I know that you are already home and I can't wait to see you!