Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mother for today

Today, the mother of one of the houses took three of the girls on an outing while I watched the house. I was excited about getting a break up from my normal routine and getting the opportunity to spend time with some of the girls in their house. When I came to the house a little before eight this morning the girls were watching a movie, a little while after the Madre (mother figure) had left I cut off the television, which is always my goal and always a problem! Bridgett was doing homework, Milagros was playing outside, and Yamelit and Alisa were working in the kitchen which only left one in the house who was very mad at the evil Tia (aunt, the name all volunteers and workers go by) who doesn’t like TV. She continues to mumble about liking all the other Tias except for me while I insist on playing a game with her or reading a book. Finally, I pulled her out of the house and up to the volunteers’ quarters where I found three strawberries, some bread and sugar for us to make a “me” version of strawberry shortcake. The girl was pretty quiet. It was neat to see how she responded when I persisted to love her despite her unlovable attitude. It was a great day! I even got to do a short devotion with them on the beatitudes tonight.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Persisted to love her". This is definitely the most beautiful thing that you have written thus far. I love that phrase and will ponder it for the rest of the day as I consider how Christ persisted in loving me. Thanks Lindsey - can't wait to see you when you get home!

Love,
Mrs. Baker